Funnier than any bumper-sticker I’ve seen this week (and it’s been a great week for bumper stickers)–this list from the most recent issue of The Christian Century:
Ten Reasons for Not Ordaining Men
10. A man’s place is in the army.
9. Men with children might be distracted by their parental responsibilities.
8. Ministry is unnatural for men since their physical build suits them better for chopping wood.
7. Man, having been created before woman, is an experiment, not the crowning achievement of creation.
6. Men are too emotional; see how they respond at sporting events.
5. Handsome men will distract female worshipers.
4. Pastoring is a nuturing role; historically, women have been the nuturers.
3. Men are too prone to violence and would be dangerously unstable in conflict situations.
2. Men can still be involved in church work without having to become pastors.
1. Jesus was betrayed by a man, whose lack of faith and subsequent punishement symbolizes the subordinate position all men should assume.